WHAT WE TEACH
We Teach What the Buddha Taught
The wisdom available at New York Insight is grounded in the Pali Canon, the oldest extant record of the Buddha’s original teachings. For over 2,000 years, the Pali Canon has provided the foundation for Theravada Buddhist practice. NYI carries the heritage of the Theravada Buddhist tradition, providing New Yorkers a unique and modern opportunity to connect with the wisdom of these teachings to benefit their everyday lives.
We teach more than meditation and offer a variety of courses, retreats, daylongs and other programs to begin or deepen understanding of the profound teachings of the Buddha. We offer programs both on-site at our beautiful Manhattan center as well as various locations throughout New York City.
Please visit our online calendar to see all of our upcoming courses and events..
We offer a variety of drop-in, by-donation, onsite ongoing sittings at our center as well as offsite sittings and events in Harlem, Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey.
In addition, NYI offers Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), an in-depth, secular approach to mindfulness meditation. To learn about MBSR, please click here.
New York Insight offers a variety of drop-in Onsite Ongoing Sittings at our center and Offsite Sittings in various locations including Harlem, Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey. Sittings are led by NYI Teachers or Peer-Leaders.
All sittings are by donation; no registration is required.
Please check the calendar for up to date information about any changes/cancellations and for locations for off-site events.
ON-SITE at 28 W. 27th ST
- Addiction and Recovery: The Buddha & Bill W: First Monday of each month, 7–9pm
- Aging As A Spiritual Practice: Tuesday afternoons, 1-2:30pm
- Community Drop-In Hours: The center is open for community use Mon–Fri, 2–6pm
- Dedicated Practice Sangha: Sunday evenings: 6–8pm
- Dharma²: Monday evenings: 7–9pm
- Generation Meditation: Young Adults: Sunday evenings; 6–8pm
- Insight Dialogue: First Sunday of each month, 6–8pm
- Insight Out Refuge: LGBTQI Sangha: Second Monday of each month, 7–9pm
- Living Urban Dharma–Monday Daytime Sit: Mondays, 12:30–2:00 pm
- People of Color Sangha: Monday evenings, 7–9pm
- S.O.S.—Sitting On Sunday: (see calendar for specific dates): Sundays, 10am–12pm
- Thursday Peer-Led Sitting: Thursday evenings, 7–9pm
- Tuesday Night Teacher-Led Sit: Tuesday evenings; 7–9pm
- Tuesday Night Integrated Orientation for Beginners: Tuesday evenings, 7–8pm
- Monthly Weekend Silent Daylongs (see calendar for specific dates): Saturday or Sunday 10am–5pm
OFF-SITE (see calendar for dates and locations)
- Brooklyn Sangha: Tuesday evenings, 7–9 pm
- Brooklyn POC & Allies: 2nd and 4th Monday evenings, 7:00-8:30pm
- Harlem Insight: Saturday mornings, 10am-12pm
- New Jersey Sangha: Wednesday evenings, 7-9pm
- Queens Sangha: Wednesday evenings, Second and Last Monday of each month